Virginia Speeding Ticket Consequences
Getting a speeding ticket in Virginia can have serious consequences. Before you plead guilty to a speeding ticket in Virginia give our experienced Virginia traffic lawyers a call for a FREE legal consultation: 804.285.3888.
The state enlists a Driver Improvement Program for Virginia residents who have been convicted of a traffic violation. The court will notify the Virginia DMV, then the motor vehicle agency will:
- Post the conviction to your driving record
- Add three, four or six demerit points to your DMV record (depending on the severity of the offense)
- Issue an order to suspend your driver’s license (if applicable)
- Issue an order requiring you to complete a driver improvement clinic (if applicable)
- Notify your auto insurance company (upon request)
On top of that, the DMV will also keep an eye on your driving record to monitor how many points you accumulate within a 12-month and then a 24-month period.